Thursday, October 1, 2009

First Quarter Outside Reading Book Review

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. Penguin Books, 2007.
GENRE: fiction

Thirteen Reasons Why is a combination of high school drama, love, and depression. Clay Jensen gets a worn box with seven tapes and a map of the town in it. The map has red marker stars on various places of the town. Each side of the tapes continue the story of his crush, Hannah Baker, leading up to her death. The sides also have a main character other than Hannah herself. Someone who was a reason Hannah committed suicide. If you get the tapes, you're one of the thirteen reasons.

"A brilliant and mesmerizing debut from a gifted new author," the book jacket reads.

Clay is scared and sad as he walks around town listening to the cassettes and following the map. Each chapter is a different side of a tape and there are two fonts that show Clay's thoughts and Hannah's voice on the tape. I have never seen a book where the author writes like this but I enjoyed having the two fonts. There have been books where there was someones random thought in between another group of ideas and it threw me off a little. It makes it easier to read.
The author provides a look at both Clay's thoughts and Hannah's. It also makes you think about what the other people on the tape feel when they're listening to the cassettes.

"Disgusting. I ran inside, searching for a bathroom to hide in. I didn't feel physically sick. But mentally...my mind was twisting in so many ways. The only thing I could think of was that I needed to vomit" (111).

I really enjoyed reading this book. I like how Jay Asher was straight to the point with what he had to say. This book shows how you can affect someone with just one thing you say or do to them. I like how his story had a secret message and I would definitely read another one of his books.

3 comments:

  1. Lizzy enjoyed this book and the way the author wrote it. She also liked how the book had a message to it. Lizzy noticed that the author used two different types of fonts for two different characters thoughts. The passage picked was interesting because it makes me wonder what character is saying this and why they feel this way. I think that this sounds like an interesting book, but I don't think it is the kind of book I enjoy reading. I am glad that you enjoyed it and would read more of this author's books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1- the author of this review really enjoyed this book. she also enjoyed how the author had two different fonts to show clay's and Hannah's voice.
    2- the author of this review noticed that the author gets straight to he point and that his books contain secret messages.
    3- i thought that the reviewer picked an interesting quote from the book because it shows a bit of the characters reaction to something.
    4- i would consider reading this book because it sounds very interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1.the reviewers impression on the book was that she liked it. she liked how there was a secreat message in the story.
    2. the reviewer notice that the book was written in two fonts to show a different persons thoughts. she liked how the author organized this.
    3.yes i think the reviewer picked a interesting passage from the book. because it gives us a little look on how the author writes.
    4.i would consider reading this book. because it sounds very intersenting and i would like to know more about clay and hannah.

    ReplyDelete